Thursday, March 12, 2009

I'm so happy...

I got a phone call today from my fertility doctor...yes the same one who upset me and treated me poorly on Tuesday! For a change he was calling to deliver good news (well I think its good news)! So, when he saw us on Tuesday he said we were going to be moving onto IUI - I figured that that was the consensus among his other colleagues at IVF Canada and the decision was final. Turns out that he hadn't actually spoken with his colleagues and just made the decision by reviewing the SFA himself...probably right before he saw us.

Anyways...he was taking with the director of the clinic this morning and she brought up 'our' case...he told her that he had recommended 3xIUI and then we would decide if we move onto IVF. She totally disagreed with him and wants us to move onto IVM, which I'm a perfect candidate for! Our doctor talked to me on the phone and then went and got the director and had her talk to us. She explained that DH's sperm...in addition to the low count had a low morphology...specifically there were a large number with deformed heads. She explained that the bad morphology would decrease our chances of conception with IUI due to issues with the sperm not being able to penetrate the eggs. She believes we would be wasting our time by solely doing the IUI's.

So...IVM is our next step! I didn't even know what it was (http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/522444_print), apparently PCOS patients are the perfect candidates for it because they already have many immature follicles...this is the first time I've been happy about something to do with my PSOvaries! They make me one of the 12% of people who can partake in this treatment for infertility...whoot for good infertility news! Basically it is like an IVF cycle without the horrible IVF drugs, they just aspirate the immature follicles and mature them outside of the body...then use ICSI...inject a single spermie into each matured egg and create embryos...very simplified explanation! And each round only costs $3000.00, which is a great deal cheaper then the $10,000.00 IVF treatments. IVF Canada is the only fertility clinic in Ontario doing this procedure right now, and they are still in trial runs. However, they have been having great success with it - the director said they were getting 46% pregnancy rate/cycle...which is great news! Downside is - since they are only in the early stages of practicing this procedure they are only doing it in rounds every three months. So, hopefully we get in for the next round...but we will still be trying with IUI in between IVM cycles.

I go tomorrow morning for a follicle scan and blood work...ideally I need more then 20 immature follicles...so here's to hoping for lots of little follies...come on PCOS...I hope you've been in over-drive! I am so excited...this is great news for me...I'm am so grateful that our case caught the clinic directors eye...because if I had of found this information out after 3 failed cycles...I may not have been as happy about this great news!

2 comments:

  1. I was really surprised to hear the 46% pregnancy rate. I had no idea that IVM was that successful. A decent success rate, lower cost, and few risks? Who wouldn't do that? I'm pretty sure no where around here offers that or I'd be asking for a consult too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is great news! I've never heard of IVM! Yay for the high success rate! I hope you can jump on the next round!

    ReplyDelete