Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Update

Everything is still a go...here in my little IVM world! I have been to the clinic daily since Friday - they have been monitoring my follies and blood work. They were a little concerned on Saturday that one follicle was a little too big and that I might surge on my own. So they gave me a shot to suppress any possible LH surge and by this mornings ultrasound it appears as if many of the smaller follicles have caught up to the one big one. They said they would schedule the retrieval once two follicle reached 14mm...well...today I had around 20 at the 14mm size...and many (I'm told too many to count) smaller ones!

I'm excited and a little shocked that everything seems to be moving along...the last week has been emotional and stressful as I have been constantly on edge and worrying that they might cancel the cycle. I take my HCG injection tonight at 7:30, tomorrow is a day off from blood and ultrasounds and Thursday morning at 9:30 I have my ovum retrieval. It still doesn't seem real!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are going great. Hopefully they can work some magic in that petri dish after your retrieval.

    I just want to check one thing. You're doing your HCG tonight at 7:30 and retrieving at 9:30 on thursday, that's 38 hours. They aren't worried that you'll O by then are they? I don't know what's standard for IVM, but I think they usually do retrievals before 36 hours for IVF. I don't want make you nervous, but I wanted to check, just incase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had a mini panic attack...when you pointed out the 38 hours - I didn't really think about it until right then. Turns out it is different then an IVF cycle trigger shot...studies have shown that extending the period of hCG priming time from 35 to 38 h for immature oocyte retrieval promotes oocyte maturation in vivo and increases the IVM rate of immature oocytes. Therefore, oocyte retrieval after 38 h of hCG priming improves subsequent pregnancy outcome in cycles programmed for IVM treatment.

    So all is good...38 hours appears to be the norm in an IVM cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, good, I figured it was different for you, but just wanted to check.

    ReplyDelete